I'm not a huge believer in thinking that the start of a new year can turn your life around and all that. You do that for yourself, not the passing of one year into another. However I have to say, I started out 2013 by waking up to some very good news, so if that is going to be an indication of how the year is going to go, I'm quite pleased with it. 2012 started out very badly and only got worse throughout the year, so having a good year in 2013 would be great for my sanity.
Though to be fair, I'm getting married this year, so no matter what else happens it will still be a good year! ♥
Anyway, new year things: I don't really like resolutions, but I do have a few goals for myself, mostly centered on improving myself, of course. But here's a short list:
1) I did really well through most of 2012 in the "get healthier" department. imthelobster and I have taught ourselves a lot about eating healthier and in better proportions and whatnot, without actually dieting, so that you don't just gain it all back later. I've lost something like 25 pounds, which is great-- but I need to lose about 30 more. With the holidays and stuff I stopped being good about using MyFitnessPal, and I stopped losing weight (though I didn't gain anything back, so that's good at least!) I have about 9 months to lose those 30 pounds in time for the wedding, which is more than reasonable; I really want to make this happen. So goal #1 is to start tracking my food and losing again, and start going on my walks again to help feel better and healthier, too.
2) Write. I joined getyourwordsout for the first time in years, at the lowest level of 150k words for the year. To be honest I don't believe I will reach 150k, though that would be nice. I don't have a specific word goal in mind for myself necessarily, I just want to be writing again, and I'm hoping the boost of being a part of this comm will help me do that. I have a couple things I started and never finished in 2012 that I'd really like to clean up and put to rest, and then I'd like to do some more original things again.
3) Crafting... just in general. Basically this one and writing tie in together. I am a pretty creative person, or I like to think so; but the last couple years have been somewhat rough and I've gone through a lot of depressive bouts, and I just kind of stopped using my creativity. Towards the end of 2012 I actually started doing crafty things again... scrapbooking and nail art and kitting, mostly, all of which I want to continue with, but I want to branch out into other things, too.
4) Be a better friend. I'm a pretty shitty one, and I know it, especially these last two years or so. I've lost a friendship or two because of it, which I regret a lot to be honest, and there's a few friendships I'm both surprised and grateful to still have. It's very circular -- I get depressed and hole myself up in my house and never do anything and don't talk to anyone much, and then I'm depressed because I never spend time with my friends and am home all the time. I really need to stop that pattern of behavior and start actually seeing my friends again; I miss you guys.
5) GET A DAMN JOB I CAN LIVE WITH. Pretty self-explanatory, really.
Honestly I think the last one is going to be the hardest, but I am out of excuses and reasons to be beating myself up and treating myself badly. The turning of a new year is just an arbitrary passing of time, I know this, but dammit I'll use it anyway, because I need to make myself a happier and better person from here on out.